Sunday, August 22, 2010

Called To Serve

My parents have currently been serving as first counselor and assistant matron in the Provo Temple. It has been an amazing, but grueling two and a half years. They have labored and served with all their heart, might, mind and strength and I have a new appreciation for what it takes to run a temple. Though it has been hard, they have loved it. It is a three year call and were looking forward to being released this November and getting a chance at chipping away at their bucket list.

Early this summer, they were asked to meet with President Henry B. Eyring, First Counselor in the First Presidency of our church. In that very tender, and personal meeting he extended the call for them to serve as President and Matron of the Provo Temple.

It is very humbling and overwhelming to them. The Lord knows that they have given and served much in their lives, and knows that there are many more lives for them to bless. I want my children to know of the faith of their Grandparents. Even though they are tired, even though their bodies hurt, even though it means a great deal of personal sacrifice on their part, when the call of the Prophet came, they accepted.

How grateful I am for such righteous influences in my life and the lives of my children. I truly have been blessed with remarkable parents. I have never doubted of their love for the Lord and their love for me and my family. As a family we have seen and felt tremendous blessings from my parents service in the temple. They are leaving an extraordinary legacy of faith, service, devotion, and love.

Robert Henry Daines III, 76, Rock Canyon Ward, Provo Utah Edgemont Stake, called as president of the Provo Utah Temple, succeeding President Merrill J. Bateman. President Daines' wife, Janet Marilyn Lundgren Daines, will serve as temple matron. He serves as first counselor in the Provo Utah Temple presidency and has served as president of thePennsylvania Harrisburg Mission, stake president, stake president's counselor, high councilor and bishop. A retired Brigham Young University professor, he was born in Logan, Utah, to Robert Henry Jr. and Anna Stoddard Merrill Daines.

Sister Daines serves as an assistant to the matron of the Provo Utah Temple and served with her husband as he presided over the Pennsylvania Harrisburg Mission. She has also served as a stake and ward Relief Society president, in ward Young Women and Primary presidencies, and as a gospel doctrine teacher. She was born in Prineville, Ore., to Fritz Hjlmar and Myrtle Rose Riner Lundgren.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was just there this past Thursday night for an endowment session and was SO tempted to look for them and introduce myself...sad I didn't. But was amazed at how busy and efficient that temple is. I also sat by a sealer who serves there during a class at Ed Week - Bro Reese Godwin was I think what his name was. Anyway - very neat for your parents and for you guys. Come to Education Week with me next year - what an experience. Love ya!

traci said...

That is great news! I'm sure they've been and will be blessed beyond imagination.