Remember running away as a child? I do. While I don't remember the particulars I do remember being mad at a sister, packing a bag, walking down the street 4 houses and sitting on the curb of the Fletchers field. (The Fletchers were great neighbors down the street that had a big empty grass lot across the street from their house.) I remember it felt like I sat there a really long time. Looking back it probably wasn't that long. And then I saw my sister walking down the street. I don't remember what she said or what I said, but I know I went home.
Abby came home from school today once again forgetting to pick out a new reading book. (This is something she's been struggling with and something I remind her about every morning.) So I told her that she could no longer read Harry Potter until she remembered to bring a new reading book home from school. Logical consequence I thought. (Abby only has about 50 pages left) She immediately said "Fine, you don't want me to read Harry Potter I'm going to run away!"
And out she went.
For most of the time she was up at the top of our street. But then I couldn't see her anymore. As I was getting ready to get in my car and go look for her she came walking back in the garage door. She looked at me and said, "I still want to run away."
So very calmly I responded, "I will miss you very much. But if you still want to run away let me help you pack a bag and I can pack some food for you for dinner."
"YOU WANT ME TO RUN AWAY DON'T YOU!"
So what is the right way to handle this situation?
A few minutes later when I was trying to talk to her she said through tears: "You never want me to be happy for the rest of my life because you wont let me read Harry Potter."
Here's the good news: she loves to read! I love that she loves to read. Also, this did end well with special bonding moment between the two of us. She and Bret had a good long talk and after which she went up to her room to have some alone time and think about what happened. I went up a few minutes later, layed down on her bed with her, and told her all about the day we found out she was a girl. I shared with her precious moments in the hospital and how I got to have special times with her that I didn't get with any of the other kids because she was my one and only baby. I expressed to her how incredibly much I loved her from the very beginning and how that love has only continued to grow and I shared with her all the many things about her that I love and admire.
So tonight she's home, she's safe and warm, she's happy and playful, she's sweet and helpful.
(By the way, I am writing this post with her permission which I gained after she made sure that Ms. Horton did not read my blog nor did Elizabeth's mom--her best friend at school.)
3 comments:
Hey - how are you? I just saw that you are doing the women who know challenge. I saw that on Brooke's blog and think it's such a great idea...but I have yet to start. Maybe next week? :)
We missed you at the girls weekend. Wasn't the same without you!
I am laughing - only because of the all-too-familiar girl drama. Who knew they would start so young. :) All we can do is keep loving them (nice job on the lunch solution BTW), and brace ourselves for the teenage years. Aaahhh!
Ahh girls. I can't believe how young they learn these things.
Post a Comment