This is one of our favorite Christmas traditions...and this year was even more special with the addition of one of my favorite childhood memories and traditions. What is a shepherds dinner...we eat food the shepherds would have eaten, dress up like shepherds, and eat on the flour with all the lights turned off except the Tree. My kids LOVE this night and look forward to it all month.
Our menu consists of beef stew, challah bread (Jewish bread) and this year I added something new...latkes!
These latkes were a big hit and one that we'll do every year.
Aren't these the cutest shepherds ever!
During dinner Bret and I talk about the significance of the shepherds. We talk about what their lives were like and how of any people, angels came to announce the birth of the Savior to these humble caretakers. This is the night that we also review our personal gifts that we gave to the Savior from the previous year and decide what we're going to give Him this.
Now as for our add on...when I was growing up every Christmas Eve we listened to an old record of Journey to Bethlehem. I remember when I was little how long this recording seemed to me. We all sat in the family room, again with lights off except the tree, and listened. As grandkids came into the picture the tradition changed into acting out our own nativity. So thanks to my sister Michelle who sent my this very same recording on CD this year we were able to add this into our night. (and what a tender mercy that I got it in the mail the very day we were doing our dinner!) What a flood of memories this brought back. I could almost envision myself sitting on my fathers lap, or one of my brothers. I thought of my Grandma and Grandpa Lundgren who were able to spend every Christmas with us as my Mom is an only child. It never truly felt like Christmas until they arrived. I remembered my Grandpa always sleeping on the flour, saying his back hurt, conveniently freeing up space in the bed for me to sleep with Grandma. I remembered the moon cookies passed around on a platter. Most importantly I remember the feelings of peace I felt sitting in that room full of people I loved. My kids don't have the same love for this recording as I do...but one day I'm sure they will. I loved passing on this childhood treasure with my family.
1 comment:
I'm thinking you need to start posting these amazing recipes on your site! The food looks delicious.
Post a Comment