Thursday, May 16, 2013

Les Mis

For Christmas the girls got Broadway tickets to go see Les Miserable with Bret and I in Richmond.  This has become a tradition for the last three years and we've seen Wicked, Lion King and now Les Mis.  It warmed my heart to sit around the kitchen table, listen song by song, and describe in detail the plot of the story.  It was doing this exact thing with the music of Les Mis with my own mother years ago in our kitchen on Comanche Lane where my own love of Broadway started.  I loved to see the tears form in their eyes by the simple beauty and power in the music.

Then Abby's choir group at school started singing a medley of Les Miserable songs.  She even auditioned for a solo in "Castle On A Cloud."  (And got the solo)

This is Abby in the car the morning of her audition.


After exposing the girls to the stage performance of Les Miserable we rented the movie as a family and watched it (skipping a song or two.) I never imagined that the combination of these three things would create a non-stop Les Mis musical in our home.  Not only the girls, but the boys as well, have been singing the songs constantly.  One Day More, I Dreamed a Dream, Castle On a Cloud, On My Own, Do You Hear the People Sing....it goes on and on and on.  Gavin asks for Castle On a Cloud every night before bed and he can even sing the entire song on his own.  I have a darling video of it but it wouldn't load to the blog.  I hate to say it but it came to the point where I had to place a ban on the singing of Les Mis.  I can't believe that I did such a thing!  But yes, it's true, a ban was put in place with privileges taken away if I heard one more rendition.  I just couldn't take it anymore.


1 comment:

Brookel said...

ha ha ha! I can imagine needing a ban. Congratulations Abby that is so wonderful to work hard and get a solo.