Friday, April 30, 2010

Moments

I feel myself appreciating moments with my children more and more as I see them growing up right before my eyes.

Moments when we're driving in the car and Abby opens up and tells me about conversations and emotions during the day.

Moments when I'm doing McKenna's hair and she tells me about the three boys that have crushes on her.

Moments when Zachary and I are cooking and he "reads my mind" by guessing the next needed amount of an ingredient.

Moments when Zachary tells me all about why he has a "cwush on Lucy, but he's not going to ask her to be his giwl friend yet because he's too young...he has to be like 16 wight?"

Moments when I let one of the kids stay up a little later then the others and we cuddle on the couch and talk under the red blanket.

Moments when I get Gavin up from his nap and he clings ever so tightly to my neck.

Moments when I'm putting Abby's scriptures away in the morning and find passages underlined and promptings/impressions written in the margins.

Moments when I walk passed a bathroom and catch McKenna posing and smiling in front of the mirror.

Moments when someone new comes to the door and Gavin runs in between my legs and hold on tight.

Moments when I tuck them in at night and sing them songs.

Moments when I check on them before I go to bed and kiss their sleeping angel faces.

Moments when I put in Taylor Swift, turn up the volume, and host a dance party in the kitchen.

Moments when I can wrap my arms around them and squeeze with all my might.

I LOVE these moments of mothering. I am finding more joy in these moments now then I did 8 years ago, 4 years ago, or even 2 years ago. Maybe it's not more joy, but a greater sense of awareness that these "moments" wont last forever and so I cherish them all the more.

2 comments:

Brookel said...

I'm glad to hear you didn't feel this way even two years ago, I get moments every once in awhile but for right now I feel like there's too many mundane things needed to be done to keep things going to have a lot of fun moments. I love McKenna looking the mirror, Abby's scripture thoughts and Zachary's crush. Cohen clings to my legs and neck just the way I imagine Gavin doing it.

alisha said...

I love those moments! Thanks for the reminder to pay more attention to them - I know when I do I feel so much more joy and satisfaction in life. Moments. I just might write that on my mirror for a daily reminder.