Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Gavin's Date In The OR

Yesterday was Gavin's surgery to remove his adenoids and the little guy did great! Of course we had to be there bright and early, leaving our house at 5:30 a.m., but he was so good while we waited, just playing with his trucks.


After we got his cute little hospital gown on him he became a little nervous and clung to Bret's leg for several minutes. All these different doctors were coming in to talk to him and I think he knew something was coming.


You never like to see your little one have to go under, but I must say that it is sure adorable to see those open gowns with diapers sticking out!



The surgery took about twice as long as expected and we were getting a little nervous in the waiting room, but the doctor finally came out and said all went well. When the nurses came to get us to come to recovery, her first words were "he's sure a fighter!" I guess he was not a happy camper while coming around.


Gavin was coming out of the anesthesia and even though he was so out of it, in and out of consciousness, the first thing he wanted was to hold his truck. I just couldn't get over this little hand with an IV holding his truck and the sleeping body that was actually being still on my lap.





We made it back home late morning to three loving and concerned siblings. Zachary made him this note with help from the babysitter. Definitely a keeper.



He got sick while driving home and threw up all over the car and was white as ghost when we pulled in the driveway. McKenna was quick to love on him.


But within the hour he was out wanting to ride his bike. You can tell he's not feeling himself, but the desire was there. Overall he had a pretty good day. He was fuzzy and not himself. He took a 4 1/2 hour nap and didn't eat a whole lot. But not too bad for the first day. Hopefully today he'll be back to normal!


5 comments:

maddie said...

what a trooper! i don't know why but it breaks my heart to see him in a hospital gown :( loved zachary's note. comic relief is always the best. hope all is well today!

Jen said...

poor little guy! But such a cutie! Hope he feels better soon.

traci said...

I'm so glad all went well. My mom had told me he was going to have the surgery done yesterday so he was in our thoughts and prayers. Glad all turned out well! When Faith had to go under at 6 weeks it was pretty difficult, but I guess it made it easier for me when they put Paige under at 13 months. It's the coming out of the anesthesia that is the scariest. Isn't it fun to be a parent! I bet you're so glad it's over. :)

Brookel said...

Yeah, he's done and now things will get better more quickly right? :) I love the truck picture, and I'm glad he didn't die too! :) Eden's been watching babe and today she said, I don't want to die right now. They say the funniest things. Love ya, call me soon on your next road trip to costco. :)

Ashley said...

aww! Gavin! I'm glad everything went well. Poor guy, that is no fun, but I hope today was better!