Thursday, April 22, 2010

Tick Phobia

I remember well years ago when Lime Disease was discovered. I was SO worried that I would get it. I was just certain that there were ticks in Utah and didn't quite believe people when they tried to reassure me that there weren't. I remember being fearful to go outside. I remember walking ever so gingerly around trees. Safe to say that I was paranoid!

Now I find myself living in tick valley central. And it just so happens that spring is peak tick season. Great! Our neighbors dog almost died last spring because of lime disease, the lady we bought the house from got really sick last year with lime disease, and a friend in the neighborhood is battling it right now and it's bad.

Having never seen a tick before I've been very concerned that I'd be able to spot them. "You'll be able to feel them" they say. "You won't miss them" they say.

So tick checks have become a regular part of our routine. I'm talking head and full body checks. I told myself that when I found one I'd feel much better because then I'd know what I was looking for.


A few nights ago I found one on Saddie...


I do not feel better...

I feel worse!

It was so dang small I honestly almost missed it! I wasn't even sure it was a tick until we pulled it off and looking closely at my tweezers I could see it moving around. How am I supposed to feel something so small in the heads of my kids?

I still have tick phobia. I'm still worried I wont be able to spot them. I'm still afraid of lime disease. Will living here cure me of this...or only make it worse?

1 comment:

traci said...

I'm with you. I hate ticks! Hopefully that will be your only tick incident.