Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Yellow Pants

I love these hideously ugly yellow pants. And even though I have owned them for 11 years I cannot bring myself to part with them. I may even hold on to them until the day I die. While I would never wear them out of the house, they have become my painting and cleaning pants (as seen by the many paint spills and bleach spots.)

Why am I so sentimental about an ugly yellow pair of pajama pants...

Ten years and one month ago I was wearing these very ugly pajama pants. Not to paint or clean in, but really wearing them (even out in public!) It was a beautiful Fall morning in Provo Utah the first Sunday in October...General Conference weekend. The night before a relationship I was in came to an end and Sunday morning found me in a few tears. My sweet roommate invited me to come with her to her boyfriends apartment to watch General Conference. So in my yellow pants, bed hair, no make-up and all, I tagged along to Jamestown apartment 28.

And there I met Bret.

Yes he had another date there with him.

Yes I really was in these yellow pants.

Why he would ever want to ask me out is beyond me.

We went on our first date later that week...and were together everyday after that.

10 years and one month later we have four beautiful children, lived in 5 states, owned 4 cars, lived in 4 apartments, owned 2 homes (not at the same time), visited 8 countries, gone to Disneyland 5 times, recovered from a shattered elbow, submitted our will to our Heavenly Fathers, treasured a study abroad to Jerusalem we did together, and enjoyed the journey of our lives.

I love these pants. My kids love these pants. And now I guess I should go put them on in an attempt to deep clean my home that Bret and I have created these 10 years and one month later. Thanks Jennica, for letting me come along that Sunday morning years ago!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love it! What a great story. Your kids will love this some day.

traci said...

I was there too, but I don't remember the yellow pants! :)

Jules said...

You looked MAHVELOUS in the yellow pants this morning. Funny thing, I looked at them and thought... those pants look like she's had them a long time- must be a story behind them. Hey... I am impressed they still fit! 10 year old pants for me would be WAAAAY too small!!