Saturday, August 9, 2008

Our little Mutton Bustin ridder

Friday night we went to the Mesquite Championship Rodeo with our friends the Smith Family. When we met to drive over they told us about the Mutton Bustin competition where kids over 4 years old and 55 pounds or under can enter their names to ride the Mutton (big furry sheep). When we got their to enter their names I wasn't too optimistic because there were so many kids and they only picked 8. Nonetheless we entered the kids names. Abby was reluctant, McKenna was excited and really wanted to be picked, and Zachary did it because his sisters were. I couldn't believe it when we went back to check and McKenna was picked as so was Caleb Smith! There couldn't have been a better pick for our family. So after the National Anthem we headed over to gear up and get instructions. Meredith and I didn't hesitate as we signed the consent forms, although maybe we should have a little!

If you don't know what Mutton Bustin is, it's like Bull Riding, except instead of a bull the kids are on the back of a big furry sheep. Whoever holds on the longest wins. Cute Caleb had been practicing that day with his mom as the Mutton. He did a great job.

The kids were all fitted for a helmet and protective vest. Are these things Mutton proof?

I'm not sure McKenna would have been as excited as she was if she had known what she was getting herself into. The kids all lined up and then the parents went out onto the field to watch.

Caleb went before McKenna, but I was too busy watching to get his picture. This is McKenna being lifted over the gate onto the back of the Mutton.

And they're out! I was not prepared for how fast my little girl would come flying out of those gates on top of the Mutton. She was amazing!!! She held on for so long. In fact, she never let go. The Mutton tripped, fell, and rolled on top of her. Bret and I joke that she was holding on so tight that she cut off the circulation and the Mutton passed out. She scored a 8.2 and came so close to taking first and bringing home the prized boots. The girl that won held on a few more seconds and scored 8.7. If the sheep would not have fallen McKenna could have held on longer. I didn't get a picture when the Mutton fell on her because I was too busy screaming. (Now I know first hand why the helmet and vest!) You could tell she was shaken by the experience but in true McKenna fashion she was so brave. I couldn't be prouder of my little Texan.

All participants received a trophy complete with a Mutton on top, a belt buckle and red bandanna. All we need is to get her a nice big belt so she can show off that buckle!

Dad, Abby, Zachary and Gavin all cheered her on from our seats in the stands. Abby was relieved that it wasn't her name that was picked. McKenna was so proud of herself and even slept with her trophy.

After some bull ridin' and some barrel racin' it was time for the calf scramble. All the kids went down to the field and tried to catch the calf. Even Zachary got in on it. You can tell we're city folks though, all my kids had flip flops on. Zachary really tried hard but he kept having to stop and put his flip flop back on when it would get stuck in the dirt.

We had such a great time at the Rodeo. Maybe McKenna will get a second shot at the Mutton Bustin next year when we go. We'll just request a sheep that doesn't trip.

No comments: