Yesterday was visitors day for Abby's ballet class.
But it just so happened that not one of the other girls in her class were able to make it.
Which made for an hour long private ballet lesson...which was so fun for me to watch (and photograph!)
(Here is McKenna trying her best to imitate Abby's movement)
I have to admit that as I was looking over my schedule in the morning and planning out my day and everything there was on my "to do" list, I wasn't exactly thrilled that not only was it Grandparent/VIP day at school, but visitors day for ballet too. That made for 2 1/2 hours blocked out as I already feel time slipping through my fingers.
I had to sit down and have a little talk with myself.
Self, I said, what is more important...the hustle and bustle of last minute Christmas errands before the kids are out of school? Or taking the time to HAPPILY (and not being distracted as my mind races in a million directions) be present at these events that are so important to my kids.
There's no question.
The VIP day happened to be the best one I've had with the kids. And there is nothing that warms my heart more then to see their eyes light up as I walk into their classrooms or to watch as Gavin goes running over to them with arms outstretched.
But I digress from Ballet, the whole point of this post. I knew that taking my four other children to play in the halls in those crazy hours of the day where they are all needing so many things and dinner is needing to be put together to go on the table, so that I could watch Abby dance was by far what I needed to be doing.
What a treat it was for me to see her dance and note her progress.
You see, McKenna has her events every Saturday, practically all year long, that we get to sit on the sidelines and cheer her on, noticing improvement in skills and technique along the way.
But not Abby. Moments like this only happen twice a year. And how priceless this one was.
I got to sit there and watch her work so hard.
I got to be there as she would glance at me with eyes beaming.
I got to listen to her teacher praise her for improvement and telling her just how far she has come even in the last few months.
I got to be there to put my arms around her and tell her how beautifully she danced and how proud I was of her.
And I got to show her that I would rather support her and be there watching her an cheering her on then doing anything else.
The best 2 1/2 hours of my week were spent at VIP day and ballet visitors day.







No comments:
Post a Comment