Thursday, November 10, 2011

Dear Bret,

While you've been gone...

...I know it's only been a few days but we've missed you! Although I'm not sure who has missed you more, the kids or me? It's a pretty close call and I tell the kids I win on this one.

We've enjoyed beautiful mid 60 degree weather and I've tried to get the kids to enjoy as much outside play time as possible.

We picked 16.5 pounds of pink lady apples. They are GOOD! I think there just might be a few left when you get back. :)

I even remembered to put out the trash! But I did not remember to turn down the heat at night.

Zachary used his sleep in late pass this morning and I have to make two different runs taking the kids to school. I am very tempted just to keep him home with me today, who knows, I just may.

I do not sleep well when you're not here. I have to fall asleep with the TV on in our room (which I hate) and I wake up a lot in the night. I even sleep on your side of the bed when you're not there...did you know that?

I have no motivation to make a real meal, and yet there are still five of us who are hungry for dinner. So far we've had waffles, bagel bites and I think tonight might be German pancakes...still not sure.

McKenna had her first basketball practice...you would have loved watching her run up and down the court with that ball.

I miss talking to you 6 times throughout the day. You're busy conducting research and I miss our frequent little phone conversations.

The hardest time without you is after dinner. The kids still do their dinner chores. We still have family scripture study (although it's not nearly as good), they still get ready for bed and the girls are helpful with Gavin if he needs help. But, as you know, that time of day I feel like my energy is completely depleted and I'm running on fumes. I really am aware of how much you really do to help out. I'm not oblivious to it, at least I hope not. Somehow it's just magnified when you're gone. Do I thank you enough? Really, I feel so equally yoked with you and it's one of those things that just fills my heart with warmth. So in case I haven't mentioned it lately, I'm so grateful for all you do within the walls of our home to help and bless our family. Thank you. You're the best!

Abby pouted for 15 minutes because her cereal bowl was not filled to the brim. Of all the nerve, I wanted to save some for me. To her credit she overcame, ate her cereal, and even apologized.

I had to take the lovely pregnancy glucose test today. I threw up on the way there and had to pull over on the 250. I fought really hard to keep that gross orange drink down for the hour needed before they took my blood. And guess what...I did it!!! I did throw up 2 minutes later as I walked to the car, but I'm counting it as a huge tender mercy! Blood drawn, test complete, and now I wont have to test my blood sugar on a daily basis!

I also had my weekly injection today...now I'm sick.

Gavin has missed wrestling with you. I've missed you wrestling with Gavin!!!

I made bread today, and you would have laughed at how excited the kids were when they walked in the door and smelled it.

You haven't had to travel much and we're definitely spoiled with having you around. You bring such a fun life and energy to our family. It's just not the same without you. I'm excited that you're coming home. I like it much better when you're here and we're all under the same roof. :)

I love you.

Em

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Our husbands are so alike. We are blessed. You're a sweet wife to write this.

maddie said...

are you kidding me?!?!? you are the cutest wife/mother! taking the glucose test, then throwing up, and THEN making bread after all that... seriously mother of the year. love that you sleep on his side - so sweet. i'll be trying that tonight. and i totally sleep with the tv on as well. you and bret are quite the winning combination! when can i move in so that you can teach me your ways?

ps thanks for your darling message - i promise i am calling you tomorrow :)

Lindsey said...

I loved reading this. Makes me want to be a better wife.