Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Abby's Birthday

I'm only 19 days late in posting this. :)

But this year her birthday was definitely one that came in stages.

On her actually birthday she, McKenna and Bret were all home with chicken pox. A little bit of a bummer not being at school on the actually birthday and all the attention that comes with that, but she had a good day anyway. Her best friend Evelyn came over after school with a card she had made and everybody and signed at school and she had video recorded the class singing Happy Birthday to Abby. So incredibly thoughtful! I think it definitely made her day.

I can't believe she's NINE!

Abby is so fun to give presents to...she loves everything and gets so excited and animated.

One present from Bret and I was a Harry Potter robe and tie...she LOVED it!

We had her favorite meal for dinner: maple glazed pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes, asparagus, and peach pie for dessert!

Seriously girl...would you stop growing up on me!

A week after the actual birthday I was able to take cupcakes into the class.

And TWO weeks after her birthday we had her birthday party. She had a Harry Potter party this year and let me tell you...it was a blast. The invitations were acceptance letter from Hogwarts for a special term in honor of Head Girl Abigail Crane's 9th birthday. They were informed of their class schedule, told to bring a muggle broom for quiddich, and to arrive at Platform 9 3/4. We held the party at our neighborhood clubhouse. When the girls arrived they painted their own wands and then walked through Platform 9 3/4 (a brick wall drawn on a big roll of paper) to their first class of Transfiguration.

The girls colored different pictures of magical creatures. We then pinned them on their backs and they had to ask yes or no questions to figure out who they had transfigured themselves into.

Our next class was Charms where Bret put on a magic show.

After charms we went outside for Defense Against the Dark Arts where we battled and slayed the Dragon.

We then moved into the kitchen where I taught a potions class. No pictures were taken but it was really fun. We made a Felix Felics out of tears of a Phoenix and Dragon scales that when consumed gave them a sense that they could accomplish anything they tried. We made a truth serum out of trolls blood and crushed unicorn bones were those people that were lying their serum bubbled up and turned blue.

After potions we headed down to the quiddich field where the sorting hat divided them into two houses for a game of quiddich. This is where I'm really kicking myself that I didn't get any pictures. It was amazing. At each end of the field we had three rings attached to bamboo sticks set up. The ones in the middle were at a higher height then the two on either side. We played complete with quaffle, bludgers and a snitch. The girls were running around with their brooms in between their legs. Definitely one of the funnest things we did.

We then headed back to the clubhouse where we made one last potion of Witch's Brew to drink with our feast of pizza and chocolate cake.

Abby really has a great group of friends here. Something I am very thankful for.


Evelyn, Abby, Emmerson Lilly, Peyton, Jade, Kathryn, Amie, Ellie, Julie, Madelyn, Lauren and Annie.

Abby and Evelyn

At the end of the night Abby was helping me clean up and she Numbered Listgot a little teary when she was thanking me for the party. She loved it so much and she felt so special....mission accomplished!

9 Things I love about Abigail
  1. She has a special ability to tell right from wrong. She always has. This girl knows how to make good choices and good decisions.
  2. She is one good bathroom cleaner! Every Saturday it is one of her jobs to clean the kids bathroom and boy oh boy...I don't even have to go in after her to check things. She does it and she does it right.
  3. She is beautiful inside and out!
  4. Abby is our "shower singer." She is none to belt it from behind that shower curtain. Whether it is songs she knows or songs she makes up I can always count on hearing a good tune when it's her time in the shower.
  5. Abby notices when I put work and effort into doing things for the family and is always one of the first ones to expresses gratitude and appreciation.
  6. Abby is one to work on things until she gets them right. I really love this about her. She doesn't give up but will keep at it, keep pushing herself, keep growing and learning until she has achieved her desired result.
  7. She is a fun person to have around. Conversations with her come easily.
  8. Abby HATES to be late....one thing I can totally relate to. In fact one of the worst punishments that could be given her is arriving to school, or anything else for that matter, late. I really do love this about her. Punctuality is a good thing.
  9. Abby is a natural leader. Among peers or family she is always one to lead others for good.

No comments: