Tuesday, September 3, 2013

First Day Of School

It came.  

The day we had been talking about all summer.  The day we been anticipating with nervous excitement.  The day we had been looking forward too.  And in some cases the day we had been dreading.  

The first day of school.  

This year was filled with even more nervousness then usual with starting over at a new school.  

I think I was just as nervous, if not more so, then they were.  (I thought about them ALL DAY and felt like I spent much of the day on my knees.)

I wanted the day to start out just right for them so made them a first day of school survival kit this year.  It was a huge hit, the kids LOVED them.


The first day of school also happened to be Zachary's birthday.
My big NINE year old and third grader...
7th, 5th and 3rd grade!
It's her last year of elementary school!

My big 7th grader...I think I was most nervous about her day.  Middle School is SO hard, add starting over on top of that.  This has really stretched her and she has risen to the challenge with a smile on her face for the most part.  I look at her and think, "who wouldn't want to be her friend?"

The kids on the street she walks to the bus stop with: CJ, Emily, and Gabby.
I even got a look back and a wave which completely warmed my heart!  
And then there is Gavin.  Who had his first day of kindergarten!  He happened to move to the only county in the entire state that does half day kindergarten.  It was a mental adjustment for both of us but it's going to be a great year.  He was still sleeping when the other kids left for school and so I didn't get a picture of all of them together.   He gets on the bus at 11:20 (which means we need to start fixing his lunch about 10:40) and he comes home with everyone else at 2:50.  I don't think I have ever had a child so excited to start school.  
The kids at his bus stop...
How great to see my kids so excited to see me at the end of the day!  Love that both my boys came running over to give me a hug!
Even McKenna got off the bus with a smile!

As far as first days at a new school go I think this one went pretty good.  Zachary and Gavin made some fast friends.  McKenna really put herself out there, went out of her comfort zone and made a huge effort to introduce herself and get to know the girls in her class.  I couldn't have been more proud of her.

Even Abby came home and said the day was pretty good.  She liked all her teachers and was excited to see that she had lunch with a girl that lives down the street.  It's definitely going to take time for the girls.  Moving is hard, there's no way around that.  I'm so grateful my girls have each other right now.  It's a built in best friend that they can count on.


No comments: