Saturday, December 19, 2009

The Dinner Party...

...that never was.

We had a great night planned with friends. We were hosting a Christmas dinner party with lots of good food and fun things planned.

There was forecast for snow, but in talking to everyone that day we were still a go. After all, we had all lived in Utah, Michigan, Minnesota or Boston.

An hour and a half before it was to start it looked like this out our front door.

But it kept coming, and it kept accumulating. Apparently there is all of one snow plow where we live and that combined with people out here not knowing how to drive the roads got really treacherous. 45 minutes before we were to start and after many phone calls we officially cancelled the night.

My beautiful table was not sat at.

The food was not eaten.

The white elephant gifts not exchanged.

The party gifts not given.

I have to admit I had myself a little cry.

And then I tried to get over it and enjoy the fact that it was snowing with my children.

And so just because I want to, I'm including all the pictures I had taken for fun of the table.

4 comments:

Jules said...

I would have bought snowshoes and climbed mountains to be at your party!!! So sad! Your table looked gorgeous and I am sure your food was YUMMY!!!!!! You are so awesome to even try to do that! Stay warm and safe!

p.s. I need your address... can you email it to me? Thanks!

Brookel said...

I'm so sad for you, but at least your kids then got to enjoy all the wonderfulness of your dinner, especially that country time drink. We need to make that for Christmas. Beautiful table, did the kids help you gather the decorations?

Anonymous said...

HOW gorgeous and very sad that people couldn't come and enjoy it! Looks beautiful, Em - great pictures too. So sorry to hear that it was cancelled. Enjoy the fun snowed-in feeling!! Love you guys! I need your address too, please.

Madeline said...

sorry i know this post is old but this makes me want to cry! the party looks like it would have been downright dreamy. make sure you save all of those ideas for next year and invite me as well. you bet i'll come from the big d. love you guys and hope you have a terrific christmas!! we miss you here :(

ps. matt got your christmas package ready so don't judge me on the presentation. just sayin.