Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Good Idea Payoff

I love when as a parent you see a good idea pay off and completely change a problem or concern. It's one of those rare, but rewarding, good parenting moments when you can pat yourself on the back and say, "well done with that one!" Our chore sticks is one of these things for me. We have been using this system for about a year now and let me tell you...it has been wonderful. No more complaining about daily jobs, no more nagging from me to get everything done. Normally ideas need to be changed or tweaked over time as kids get too familiar with them, but so far we have not needed to change a thing with these. They come home from school and after having snacks get out their sticks on their own and start working on them without me even asking. It is a beautiful thing.

What, you might ask, is included...

  • Unloading the dishwasher every morning...they all have different sections that completes the job
  • Clean room...they now do this before they even come down for breakfast
  • Backpack/Shoes/Lunchbox put away
  • Homework
  • Reading
  • Mom's choice...love this one. It provides flexibility, spontaneity, and most importantly providing help in the way I most need it...sometimes what I really need is a big hug! :)
  • Setting or clearing the dinner table

But my personal favorite is Act of Service

I have to say this one got added in because I was concerned about my children not looking outside themselves enough. I really desired service to be ingrained in them where it was something that came naturally and I struggled with how to achieve this. When we first started I would help them come up with ways in which they could provide service. It could be in our home or at school but they had to check it off with me to make sure it was legit. It has taken time, patience and coaching but I'm finally starting to see the fruits. On their own and with a twinkle in their eye I am now starting to hear each morning, "I know what's going to be my act of service today." Wow, big time payoff! Thinking of others, thinking of ways to help and love those around you, thinking of ways to make someone happy...that's what I wanted their little hearts, minds and hands to do and I'm happy to be seeing seeing steps in the right direction. Now maybe I should add a few more of these Acts of Service sticks so they have to do more then just one...that might not be a bad idea!

5 comments:

Brookel said...

Wanted my family to perform service for each other was one of the first things I thought of/wanted/worried about when thinking about having children. And I like your chore sticks, I'm glad they work so well I can't wait to do something just like it when Eden's old enough.

BrookeHoopes said...

Emily! I just love this. I sat down and made sticks tonight. We've tried chore charts, points charts, etc., but I think my kids will love the sticks idea.

I think the Act of Service idea is wonderful too. It seems like a wonderful way to reinforce President Monson's talk about doing good for people each day. Thanks for being ever inspiring!

Amy Schelin said...

Can you guarantee results? :) Oh thank goodness for all of your great ideas. I'm in on this one. Keep 'em coming!

alisha said...

Awesome on the acts of service. That is such an important thing to teach our kids - something I need to be better at too (having it on my mind all the time). We have one called "Happy Helper" and the kids get excited about it - but I haven't been as good as you at having it a regular thing.

Do your kids also have weekly chores that they don't do every day/or chores that rotate from week to week? How do you account for those - or does that fall under mom's choice?

Funny that Mike and I were just talking last night about "revamping" our system.

I like the idea to have a consistant set of things so they know what to expect. We were talking about how it would probably really help Mikaela especially right now to know more in advance what her jobs for the day are so she can work that into her "plan." I love how your kids will pick up their rooms even before breakfast to get it out of the way!

Ok, sorry for the novel. You've given me some good things to think about. I could write more...but I'll just email you and pick your brain some more! :)

Spencer, Erin, Parker and Ben said...

Sorry we missed you when you were in Utah Em. Next time maybe. It's always busy in Utah huh! Anyway, just catching up on your post. Sounds like you guys are good. I liked the post on your best friend who's child has epilepsy. I knew who it was and love your connection with her. I also will have to try these chore sticks out one day- first we're going to conquer toilet training! :)