It was very emotional to see her and Bret standing there together in the water dressed in white. Her purity and goodness seemed to radiate.
Abby and Bishop Brady, and her Primary President Sister England
Both sets of Grandparents made the long journey from California and Utah to be here on her special day...we are SO grateful for their love and support. It was wonderful to have them both here. Grandma Daines spoke on Baptism. She gave Abby a pearl necklace and talked about how the oyster makes a pearl. She said that even though she was getting baptized, life wasn't going to be perfect. There were going to be little pieces of sand that would come into her life and irritate her, get under her skin, and make her sad and unhappy. But if she turned to the Lord those little pieces of sand would turn into pearls. McKenna and Zachary sang John the Baptist and Grandpa Crane spoke on the Holy Ghost. He did such a wonderful job and shared with Abby some personal examples of when he listened to the Holy Ghost. The entire meeting just very tender and special.
A few thoughts and impressions from that morning:
- As I was helping Abby into her dress that morning to go to the church, I pulled out her little white blessing dress. Right then and there the tears started flowing. I couldn't believe my little girl was getting baptized. I started playing the "I remember when..." with her as I did her hair. She is such a special girl and I am so grateful I get to be her mother.
- Abby is unique and special in many different ways. One of which being her spiritual maturity. She grasps concepts, principles and doctrines in such a profound way and is then able to apply them to her life in a very personal way. In part because of this Bret and I both felt the need to step it up a little with her. Her little spirit is not so little but is strong and eager for spiritual things. I feel we have taught her well, but at the same time I feel an added responsibility, kind of like what was good enough for yesterday will not be good enough for tomorrow.
- After she was baptized and I went in the bathroom to help her dry off and get changed, McKenna was not far behind me. She came running in and with a smile from ear to ear and a little quiver in her voice she said, "Abby, Abby, how was it?" Once again I was so grateful for the special bond that is unique to them, for Abby setting the example and McKenna who will shortly follow.
- As I was helping her change from her wet baptism clothing into her beautiful white dress there in the bathroom of the church, I couldn't help but think of a day in the future where we will once again be in a sacred building and I will be helping her put on a beautiful white dress. As I caught that glimpse in my minds eye, I looked down at her beautiful little face and eyes that sparkled and I was so overcome with gratitude for the blessing she is in our home and family. I am so blessed to be her mother.
2 comments:
How very sweet! Congrats to Abby. Love that she'll have such sweet pictures to remind her of this special day.
What a special day, I too can't believe how old she is already. And she does has such a strong spirit, she was meant to be an oldest daughter and is and will continue to be such a good example and good big sister. You've done such a great job preparing yourself for this special ordinance. We love you Abby and are glad you are now officially a member of the true church of Jesus Christ.
Post a Comment