Sunday, September 27, 2009

Washington DC

Last Friday Bret had a conference up in DC with The World Bank. So I checked the kids out a little early from school and joined him that evening. We stayed the night and had a wonderful day Saturday exploring Washington with the kids. I'm so excited to be living as close as we are to this city. The museums, the history, our government...so much to expose the kids to and wonderful things to learn from. No doubt we're going to have some great field trips!

Saturday we went to the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History and the Air and Space Museum. It was so much fun and the kids loved it. They wanted to see it all and even go to more museums. As we sat on the grass and played in between the Washington Memorial and the Capital Building I had to pinch myself that as a family we were really having these experiences. It was a blast.

Our own personal Buddy System...only it happens naturally.

And a first time trip to DC wouldn't be complete without a look at the White House. We had to remind Zachary several times that this is not where the Prophet lives, but where the President of our country lives. When talking beforehand about seeing the White House he said, "And if I was sick, we could go inside and he could give me a blessing and I would be all better!" This was the highlight for McKenna...she couldn't wait to tell her friends she say where the President lives AND that she touched a squirrel!

And then there were the big street vents. Oh the fun. Oh the joy. Oh the hot smelly air!

On our way back to Charlottesville we stopped at a Costco for dinner. It sounds crazy but it made me so happy. We didn't even buy anything but I was just happy to be there. Bret laughed when I said, "This is a happy place for me." I never thought I'd say that, but when there is no Costco around, I do miss it. All those wonderful Kirtland items, the great cuts of meat, everything your heart desires in bulk. I breathed it all in with a smile! And next time we're headed that way you better believe I'm bringing our cooler!

No comments: