Thursday, September 10, 2009

Abby's Birthday

8 Things I Love About Abigail
  1. She sets such a wonderful example for her sister and brothers.
  2. She is my little chef in training. I have always loved cooking for my family, especially on Sundays. But recently they have become more fun for me as she now helps out with the entire meal. I love it and it truly has become a special time for us.
  3. Her goodness. When I think of Abby the first word that comes to mind is "good". She has such a desire to choose the right and do those things her Heavenly Father wants her to do. She is just such a good girl.
  4. Responsible. Does she sound like the typical oldest child yet? One thing I love about Abby is I can always count on her being responsible when it comes to school work/papers. If I tell her to give a note to the teacher, I don't have to remind her 10 times before she walks out the door. It takes a lot of the hassle out of it and for that I'm grateful.
  5. Abby is extremely creative. I love to see her imagination at work. Whether it comes out in play, writing stories or making up songs Abby is blessed with a very creative mind.
  6. She loves to read! As a mother who loves to read myself this makes me so happy!
  7. Goal Oriented. Abby loves to set goals for herself and see them through. One example of this is when she was in the first grade she set a goal for herself to read the Book of Mormon by herself by the time she was baptized. Tomorrow she will finish the Book of Mormon. It hasn't always been easy, but she has stuck with it and I am so proud of her for it!
  8. Abby is mature beyond her 8 years. She is an "old soul". While I admit sometimes this brings on a little frustration (such as when we are doing things with other families she doesn't want to go play with the kids but instead would rather sit and listen to adults,) but this also gives her a deep spiritual strength and understanding of gospel principles. I am amazed at her ability to liken the scriptures unto herself, to draw out principles and application.

When did my little girl get so big? I can't believe that Abby turned 8 years old today. She's growing up right before my eyes and I just want time to slow down a little. I am so grateful for this beautiful daughter of mine.
I was able to go meet Abby for lunch at school and bring in some cupcakes. I was so excited that at this school I could actually bring something in homemade and not store bought! Abby wanted me to make rose cupcakes.

So after making 28 of them (there's only 20 in her class but she likes to give them to other teachers too) I headed off to school for the fun birthday celebration.

After school we opened presents. Abby got a nice set of scriptures, Harry Potter IV, a CTR necklace from Grandma and Grandpa and $20 which she chose to put straight into the dog fund!


We had a great feast of maple glazed pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes, and sunshine glazed carrots, topped off with Strawberry Pie for desert! She is one who definitely appreciates good food!


She shared her wish with me...I hope that means it will still come true for her. She wished she could see Elizabeth and Zach again, her two best friends back in Texas.

Happy Birthday Abigail Rose! I love you!

3 comments:

Katie L. said...

It has only been a few months, but the kids look older already! How is your new home? And how did you make those gorgeous rose cupcakes? My mouth is watering to try one.

Amy Schelin said...

Happy Birthday, Abby! Zach misses you as well. Wish we could be at your baptism.

Becky said...

Emily, Abby looks so grown up in these pictures. She is a such a cute girl! Fun to read about her. I always tell my boys to stop growing and be my __ year old forever. They grow too quickly!
Good luch with the dog fund! How exciting for your kiddos!