School has been going for a total of 4 weeks since the beginning of 2015. In those four weeks we have had five snow days and four two hour delay mornings. Believe it or not it looks like this week is shaping up to be our first full week of school for the year!
Snow days have been a very fun part of our lives these past six years living in Virginia. I know a lot of mothers complain about the lack of structure, everyone being home all the time, kids getting board, etc. Yes, my house gets very messy, especially the kitchen! Yes, kids fight and argue out of boredom and because they've seen too much of each other. Yes, I get way behind on a lot my to do list. And yes, the laundry just piles and piles on top of each other.
But I'm also pretty darn positive that the messy kitchen and all the other things are not what my kids are going to remember about snow days. I hope my kids look back on snow days as a magical part of their childhood. I hope they remember them as times when everything else stopped, schedules were suddenly freed up and we could just be together and have fun as a family. I think my kids will remember yummy warm breakfasts served to them with hot chocolate on snow days. I think my kids will remember staying in their PJ's all day, watching movies, playing games and eating caramel popcorn or baking cookies. I'm certain they will remember the taking on and off of snow clothes to go play in the snow and the inevitable pile of gear that gets piled up by the front door.
The following pictures aren't necessarily from the same snow day, but they do a good job of capturing the magic of what snow brings in our home.
Snowball fights with Dad...
I love these next two pictures...Gavin had his back turned and was talking to me and Bret's snow ball is mid air....
And then...direct hit!
Zach discovered how nice it is to sit over a vent with a blanket to capture the warm air blowing in. I think Sadie liked it too!
Grayson might be the one who loves snow days the most. He LOVES everyone being home to play with him.
Zach is doing a great job of learning how to shovel...I hope he's not sick of it next year when we're going to need lots of shoveling in Logan!
Even on the coldest of snow days, or when there is not that much snow at all, the boys spend hours sledding. Grayson in particular loves sledding and wants to do it multiple times each snow day.
Games play a big part in our snow days!
This winter has been the winter of Downton Abbey for the girls. While the boys are outside sledding or downstairs playing the wii, the girls have been watching Downton Abbey starting from season one. They are both in love with Matthew and bawled and bawled at the end of season three.
All the kids being home on a snow day just makes for fun exercise partners. They can do a T25 with the best of them!
Snow days also mean time and fun excursions with friends.
And lots of lots cuddling!
Yep, pretty much magical any way you look at it!









No comments:
Post a Comment