Sunday, October 20, 2013

Gratitude Experiment

Bret and I have been feeling for a while that our kids are just not as grateful for things like they used to be or should be.  All kids are clueless as to how much their parents really do for them, we know that.  We just did not like the the feeling of entitlement we were seeing out of our children.  We've talked about it and wondered what we could do about it.

This morning came the boiling point.  I had arrived home late Saturday night from picking up McKenna who had spent the weekend in Charlottesville for Kate's birthday.  Before I went to bed I put together one of their favorite breakfasts that we could enjoy together the next morning...Monkey Bread.  

Everyone woke up Sunday morning, I dished them up some delicious gooey, carmely goodness of Monkey Bread and we all sat around the table to eat.  Bret noticed that not one child uttered a thank you.  As a result, they were able to finish what was on their plates but were not allowed to come back for seconds.  

Later this morning Bret came up with the idea of doing a little gratitude experiment consisting of me taking the week off.  His goal was for the kids to realize just how much I do for them and hopefully instill a little more gratitude.  He presented it to the kids in this light, "Mom has been working so hard and she does so much for us that we are going to give her the week off.  She's not going to do any cooking, or cleaning.  She's not going to wake you up in the morning or help you pack your lunches.  She's not going to do any laundry.  She will still help with homework and take you to lessons and practices that you need to get to.  But other then that we are giving mom a break."  

The reactions that followed were so funny.  First of all, and most surprisingly, the kids were all very excited.  Gavin said he would take care of Grayson, feed him lunch and change all his poopie diapers.  Zachary wondered how he was going to wake up in the morning.  The girls chimed in that they would set their alarm and wake him up.  Abby started talking about how it was perfect because she needed to meal plan and make dinners for a week as a personal progress goal.  (This was at least until she remembered that she had to complete a lot of other things before being able to do the value project.)  She then went on to say that we needed to make a list of chores that people were going to do.  Which was followed by the following conversation.

McKenna: "NO!!!  We are not making a list of chores!"
Abby: "YES WE ARE!  OTHERWISE I'LL BE THE ONE DOING EVERYTHING!"
McKenna: "NO!!!  WE ARE NOT MAKING A LIST.  I'LL JUST DO THINGS WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT."

It was their different personalities to a tee!  
Gavin full of life, wanting to do anything to help me, coming up with grand ideas but we all know unable to really follow through on them.   Zachary thinking technically about a small detail like waking up in the morning.  Abby, ever the responsible one, stepping up and wanting to get everyone organized and working.  McKenna, the spunky free spirit who doesn't like to be told what to do and likes to do things in her own way.  
Oh how I love them for these qualities that make them who they are.

Sunday night is coming to a close.  I made sure I left the kitchen sparkly clean (not sure when I would see it clean again.)  Not sure if I'm ready for my "week off", this is going to be a lot harder for me then it is going to be for them.


No comments: