Friday, November 2, 2012

Taking A Day

Every year it happens, I dislike Halloween a little bit more.  (Sorry Brooke, but it's true!)

The day is simply EXHAUSTING!!!  And it comes at the end of an already crazy busy month.

Maybe it helps me appreciate November all the more.  When things slow down for at least a little while before December.  The weather is cool and crisp.  And we get to focus on all the blessings in our lives. I love November!

I just don't have it in me to do an over the top Halloween.  In fact, I didn't even put up our decorations this year, even though it made my boys in particular very sad.  The tubs with Halloween decorations inside of them sat in my living room for several weeks, but I never did anything about it.  They just sat there, and actually are still there waiting to be put away !  Next year boys, promise.  I think that if I got into it a little bit more I would enjoy it a little bit more....maybe someday.

So November 1st I declared I was taking a day to recoup!  I was spent and needed a day to stay home and work on things...or not work on things.

Taking a day meant I took a bath at 8:30 in the morning!  (Let me just say it was the first bath I have had in three years...it came at the cost of having to replace our hot water heater, but it was wonderful.   Made me wish the old one would have started leaking when we first moved here!)  And then I even took another bath later that night!

Taking a day still meant I had to fold and put away six loads of laundry.

But it also meant that I laid down on my bed with a book....IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DAY!!!

Taking a day meant uploading what felt like thousands of pictures to my blog so I can finally get caught up...so now I have 13 drafts I'm working on to back post!

Taking a day meant NO errands...other then driving to soccer, ballet and the dentist to sell him our Halloween candy.  (The kids sold 22 pounds of candy!!!  And that's after they each kept a bunch)

Taking a day meant I let the boys play the wii on a school night.

Taking a day meant I was not cooking...we ordered pizza.

Taking a day also meant I held a crying baby.  Grayson is getting three of his top teeth in and if he was awake...he was crying.  This made for not the kind of day I had envisioned when I set out to "take a day" and I was emotional and mentally drained when 6:30 rolled around and I put that crying baby in bed for the night.

BUT...in spite of the crying baby, taking a day yesterday did wonders for me even if I didn't recognize it last night.  This morning I feel refreshed, motivated and full of energy.  Ready to take it all on!

So I hereby declare November 1st as Taking a Day day!  I think I've found myself a new little personal tradition.

1 comment:

Brookel said...

ha ha ha! love it :)