Today I had one of those special quiet moments with Grayson. One of those moments where nothing was said, but everything was felt.
I got my work out in early in the day. Took Gavin to preschool. Went visiting teaching. Came home and put Grayson to bed and got in the shower. I thought about all those things that were on my list and what I needed to get done that day. When I was done Gray was still screaming, apparently never went to sleep.
I went in and picked him and sat in the big brown comfy chair. He calmed down instantly and snuggled right into the crook of my arm. The house was quiet and we sat there looking at each other. It was one of those moments where our spirits were having a conversation. I felt so full of love, peace and contentment. I was so grateful for the gift that is motherhood and thought again how lucky I was. I stroked his face. Over his eyes, down his nose and along the contour of his cheek and chin. He rested his tiny little hand on my face.
Eventually those eye lids began to close. But I didn't lay him down. I sat and held and cherished the moment until I thought my heart was going to explode with joy and love. I thought how five years from now Abby will be 16...dating and driving. (scary) McKenna will be 15 and a freshman in high school. Zachary will be 13. He'll hold the Priesthood and will be in Junior High. Gavin will be 9, a baptized member of our church. And Grayson, this little baby asleep in my arms will be in Kindergarten.
And I thought to myself that I better not even blink. Five years may seem like a long time, but it's really not! After all, this is our fourth year here in Virginia! Five years and these little ones will be not be my little ones anymore. I want to stop and breath these moments in while I can.
I made a commitment to myself to make a conscious effort to cherish these moments. To not get so caught up in the to do's of each crazy busy day and all the activities of the big kids that I miss moments like this with Grayson and the others.
Oh how I love these little moments that cause me to readjust and tweak my priorities. They pull back on track. They remind me that keeping my house spotless all the time, making sure my kitchen is always clean, laundry always done and put away, everyone to where they need to be and on time are not the most important things. They help me remember that it's not only OK, but good, to let things go so that I am there in the little moments of the lives of my kids.
I'm grateful for these reminders because man alive do I ever need them.
4 comments:
I love this so much Em. It brings back so many memories. You are right, it goes way to fast.
I love this Em! It brings back so many memories and you are right, it goes by incredibly fast.
I love this Em. It brought back some lovely memories and you are right, it does go by incredibly fast!
They sure make it hard to leave a comment, I must have typed this 5 times. I loved your comments. It brought back some cherished memories.
Post a Comment