Back in August I posted how Gavin had found his words and was graduating from speech therapy. About a week after that post I decided I wasn't completely comfortable with that decision. I felt like Gavin was doing great within the walls of our home and with our own family, but that in community settings or around other people he reverted to single word usage and his clarity wasn't very good. So we didn't close his case after all and actually changed therapists. His old one worked in the school system and so was coming after school. I knew that with all three in school that after school speech therapy wouldn't work because Gavin would just want to play with his siblings.
So Jessica started coming Tuesday afternoons. And it didn't take long before Gavin and I both loved her. She was fabulous! I loved the way she worked with Gavin and got him to really "work" on his words. I felt like I was getting tangible feed back and knowledge about where Gavin really stood.
Good news: as of today, Gavin has official now graduated from speech therapy, he no longer qualifies and is doing great.
Bad news: we are both going to miss our visits from Jessica.
Good news: Gavin no longer has a speech delay! In some area's he is even ahead of where he needs to be! Imagine, 10 short months ago Gavin was saying one word, "bir" for bird." Not even a useful word. And now he is speaking in full sentences.
Truly he has found his words!
Thank you to all of you who have kept him in your prayers. We feel so blessed with how far he has come so quickly. We know we have seen the Lord's hand in our lives helping Gavin a long this journey to find his words.
Goodbye Jessica! We'll miss you!
No comments:
Post a Comment