Monday, March 5, 2012

Big Helpers and Perspective

As the weeks got closer to when we knew this little baby was going to be coming, I began to be a little more and more unsettled about not having any family coming out to help right at the beginning.  After all, this was a fifth child!  That number for some reason was (and still is when I really think about it) very overwhelming to me. Most days I barely make it through with the four I already had...how was I ever going to add a new born on top of it all.  All other babies came to the craziness of life within the walls of my own home...this one is different.  This baby is coming to the craziness of a busy life outside the walls of our home between practices, games, lessons, and activites.  

Just one small snippit from our first full day home from the hospital:  At about 8:00 p.m. Monday night I was not feeling well and went to lie down in bed taking Grayson with me.  The kids were home from school all that day and didn't have school the next either.  Bret not only had pink eye but also a bad cold that had settled in his chest.  Shortly after I went upstairs, Abby started throwing up everywhere, (she did make it to the sink.) Not 2 minutes after she finished Gavin got a huge gyser of a bloody nose.  I heard the caous downstairs and come out of my room to see what was going on.  Bret looks at me and says, "I used to think one day at a time was going to be a victory with five kids.  I'm not even aiming that high anymore. Now it's one bedtime at a time will be a victory. "  We looked at each other and started laughing....what crazy adventures were in store for us in life with five kids....we're just at the beginning! :)

But you know what....I could not have had a better first two weeks post baby.  In fact, it's been my favorite first two weeks with a baby ever.  I attribute this to a number of reasons:

  1. PERSPECTIVE:  Wow, has this ever made the difference.  I am getting so much out of this new born phase with Grayson, more then ever before.  Knowing that this is our last little baby is really helping me to let things go and just love on the little man.  I honestly don't care that my kitchen stays messy until 3:00 when the kids are home from school.  That's when we're all in the kitchen together anyways, and it's a great time for me to tackle breakfast dishes too! :)  If clean clothes stay in a hamper for a few days before I get to putting them away...hey, at least they're clean!  Never before have I focused so much on my own recovery and just holding and enjoying the new little baby.  And it has been some of the most special weeks of my life.  I am guilt free about all the little things that are not getting done.  I'm happy and content to breathe him in deeply as I snuggle him under my chin.  I wish I could go back to my younger self 10 1/2 years ago and tell that mother of sweet little Abby a thing or too....but she probably wouldn't have listened too much.
  2. MY KIDS:  these two weeks have been wonderful not in spite of my other children but BECAUSE of them.  For the first time I have a new born without at least one toddler under foot constantly needing something from me.  I have older girls who are natural little mothers, who love their brothers and happily play with them, who help out SO much around the house cheerfully.  Gavin will be four next month, and he has really grown up a lot in the past few months.  A few weeks before Grayson was born I decided I was going to keep each of the girls home from school a couple of days each so that they could be my helpers.  What special, special days those were.  
They played on the playground with Gavin...
They colored with him...
They jumped on the tramp with him...
They fixed lunch...
They played the wii...
They played Lego's...
And of course, there was lots of snuggling with Grayson

I cannot even begin to put into words the blessing these girls are in my life.  I ask myself time and time again, how in the world am I so lucky that I get to be their mothers.  Not only did my heart overflow with love and gratitude for them, but Gavin was in seventh heaven...he had a personal playmate all day long!  And what did I do on those days...hold Grayson, take a nap, and maybe get a load or too of laundry done...just maybe! :)  

     3.  SUPPORT: Never before have we lived in area where so much love, support and service has   been extended to our family.  From play dates for Gavin, thoughtful gifts, and surprise parties from my visiting teaching companion and the ladies we visit.  Not to mention the abundance of meals that has been brought in.  Including the week before I had Grayson, we have had a total of 16 meals brought in for our family.  Including from my amazing and ever so thoughtful brother, who happens to live clear across the country in California, but still "brought" us dinner by ordering our family a small feast from our favorite pizza place here.  I have been so touched by the love and support by those around us.  In addition to all of this, Bret has been so amazing and so incredibly supportive.  He 100 percent understands how special this time is and wants me to take full advantage of it.  He checks up to make sure I've been taking it easy and holding Grayson till my hearts content.  He's always been wonderful when we've had babies, so it's really nothing new, but man oh man do I ever love him for it! 

This has been such a wonderful time for me personally and for our family.  I'm grateful that I have been able to soak it all in and enjoy each moment.  I'm grateful for the experience for our family; to see the love that my children have for Grayson and to see them serve me in such meaningful ways.  And I'm grateful for the love and service that so willingly has been given by friends.  And the great thing is...I still get to look forward to great weeks ahead when family does get to come out and spend time with us and help later this month!  It's the best of both worlds.

2 comments:

alisha said...

I got teary as I read this. So sweet. I'm glad you (and your family) have let yourself enjoy this precious time.

Brookel said...

Great post, very sweet and sincere and I was smiling and giggling the whole time. Perspective and attitude make such a difference and you do the positive with both. I love hearing this, it makes me want another baby very soon :)